Mashatu Hides & Predators Photo Safari
Mashatu Game Reserve in Botswana is one the best wildlife photography destinations in Africa, there's no question about it. This Botswana photo safari takes you to a very special corner of southern Africa, at the point where Botswana, South Africa and Zimbabwe meet. It is a place steeped in tangible history; from the enormous Mashatu trees (which are very popular with the Reserve's numerous leopards) and majestic baobabs, to the winding river beds and towering sandstone cliffs, this truly is a photo safari destination with a difference.
Back in 2011 Mike was employed full time at Mashatu to assist with getting the underground photo hide set up and operational. He and his wife called the reserve home for 2 years and came to know its secrets, its ancient rhythms and the habits of its wildlife. Since then the hide has become world famous and has produced many a award winning images.
This Botswana photo safari focuses on photographing Mashatu's relaxed and numerous big cats (leopard, lion and cheetah) and on shooting from the legendary underground hide.
12 - 17 August 2023 Fully booked
25 - 30 July 2024 Available
USD 7 695 pp sharing
Book your spot on this photo safari now!
Photographic possibilities on this photo tour...
Today we will fly from OR Tambo International Airport in Johannesburg to Polokwane Airport. After our arrival in Polokwane, we road transfer to Pont Drift border post (+-2 hours) and after a short stop at border control, we enter Botswana, and hop onto our private open safari vehicle and make our way to our home for the next 5-nights of our Botswana Photo Safari: Mashatu Private Game Reserve.
Overnight Mashatu Lodge
This photo safari offers the perfect combination of hide photography, exciting game drives and the possibility of capturing the starry night skies of remote Botswana. Hide photography takes centre stage as we await the arrival of thirsty mammals and birds. The Matebole Hide is sunken photographic hide placed at a waterhole in prime Elephant habitat, and inside, you are seated so that your head is at ground level, and everything you see will be from the perspective of lying on your stomach looking upwards! A variety of creatures come to the waterhole to quench their thirst (Elephant, various antelope, Chacma Baboon, lots of birds and with a lot of luck even a big cat or two!), and here the ORYX photographic guide will teach creative techniques to best capture the animals as they go about their business. Game drives focus on the cats of the reserve, and Mashatu is gaining a reputation as a superb reserve for Leopard with a number of relaxed individuals!
This ideal combination of photographic hides, game drives and scenic exploration while learning new photographic techniques makes this expedition one that you will never forget.
Nights Mashatu Lodge
This morning after an early breakfast, we depart on our last morning game drive, followed by a road transfer back into South Africa via Pont Drift border post and to the town of Polokwane. This is sadly where this incredible photo tour concludes!
Tour cost includes...
– 5 sessions at the famous Matabole Hide
– 5 nights' accommodation at Mashatu Lodge
– Return road transfer Polokwane to Mashatu
– All meals from dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 6
– Tea, coffee and snacks while on game drive and in the hide
– A contribution of US$25 to the Oryx Conservation Fund
– Complimentary WIFI at The Bush House
– Mashatu daily conservation levy
– A private-use safari vehicle for 3 participants allowing each guest their own row
– The services of a local driver/guide and tracker
– All costs and hands-on photographic tutoring by Mike Dexter
– Any flights (international and Johannesburg - Polokwane return)
– Visa costs
– Travel, medical and cancellation insurance
– Personal expenses such as souvenirs, telephone calls etc.
– Any beverages aside from those mentioned in inclusives
– Anything not mentioned in inclusives above