MADIKWE BIG 5 & PHOTO HIDES PHOTO SAFARI
In the far north of South Africa, nestled against the border with Botswana, lies the malaria-free Madikwe Game Reserve At 75 000 hectares Madikwe is the 5th largest game reserve in the country and is renown for its exceptional diversity in game viewing and its reliability as one of the best destinations in Africa for photographing the Big 5 (lion, leopard, buffalo, rhino and elephant) and African Wild Dogs in their natural environment. This 6 day South Africa photo safari will fully immerse you in the lives of Madikwe's wild inhabitants and provide you with the wildlife photography opportunities of your dreams.
Our chosen accommodation lies in the heart of the reserve and has its very own underground hide (blind) overlooking a small waterhole. The hide is open 24hrs a day and the waterhole is floodlit so, should you wish, you can stay up all night waiting for nocturnal visitors.
Madikwe provides the ultimate photo safari destination to introduce you to the wildlife wonders of South Africa. This safari takes place towards the end of the dry season which is when game viewing is at its absolute best and the soft winter sun illuminates the skies in the most spectacular sunrises and sunsets.
27 June - 2 July 2024 Available
2024 - ZAR 79 305 pp/s
Photographic possibilities on this photo tour...
After meeting at OR Tambo International Airport, we will fly to Madikwe Game Reserve. The flight is only an hour long and upon landing our game viewing vehicle will be waiting to transfer us to the lodge. After settling in we will meet for a light snack before heading out on our first afternoon game drive.
Overnight The Bush House
Madikwe Game Reserve’s 75,000 hectares is home to a wealth of mammals species including the much sought-after Big Five. As Madikwe is in a transition zone between the arid Kalahari Biome and the more mesic woodland areas that fall to the east, it has a varied mammal and bird population, with 66 recorded mammal species including the handsome Sable, Eland and Giraffe, and Kalahari beauties such as Springbok and Southern Oryx (Gemsbok). It can profess to be an excellent site to view the Endangered African Wild Dog, and other predators we could encounter include Spotted Hyena, and its rarer cousin the Brown Hyena, and even Cheetah. Our accommodations offer an underground hide overlooking a private waterhole and along with game drives, the photographic opportunities will surely be endless!
Nights The Bush House
After a final morning's game drive and another scrumptious breakfast, we will fly back to Johannesburg where this incredible adventure sadly comes to an end.
Book your spot on this photo safari now!
This photo tour is for you if...
– You are interested in photographing wildlife from ground-level in an underground photographic hide/blind.
– You are drawn to photographing predators (particularly lions, cheetahs and wild dogs) in their natural environment.
– You want to minimise travel time and maximise time in the bush. Madikwe is only a 1 hour flight from Johannesburg.
– You enjoy travelling with a small group of like-minded individuals. With only 4 tour participants, Mike can provide individual attention throughout.
– You want to travel with the support of one of the top photographic safari operators in Africa.
– You want a fully guided experience with attention to detail and personal photographic assistance from professional wildlife photographer and safari guide, Mike Dexter.
Tour cost includes...
– 5 nights' accommodation at The Bush House in Madikwe Game Reserve
– All meals from dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 6
– Coffee and tea at The Bush House
– Gratuities for local guides and services
– Bottled water
– Complimentary WIFI at The Bush House
– Entrance fees and conservation levies for Madikwe Game Reserve
– A private-use safari vehicle
– Usage of the hide for photography at The Bush House
– Costs and services of a local guide throughout
– All costs and hands-on photographic tutoring by Mike Dexter
– Any flights (please budget ZAR 10 764 pp for roundtrip flights OR Tambo - Madikwe)
– A freight seat for extra weight allowance
– Any pre or post-tour accommodation
– Visa costs
– Travel insurance
– Personal expenses such as souvenirs, telephone calls etc.
– Any beverages aside from those mentioned in inclusives
– Travel/medical/cancellation/curtailment insurance
– Anything not mentioned in inclusives above